Thursday, January 13, 2011

Molasses Cookies

How was your Christmas? Was it merry? Was it really really merry??

What about new years? Did you make a scary resolution you won't keep? I didn't. Bite me.

Yay! That makes me happy. I have holiday recipes to share with you..sure, I'ma bit late, but still, you can eat them at any time of the year and I'm sure they'll be delish!

I love molasses. I think it represents everything that is holy and righteous and all the good that's not in this world. Probably because it's all in these delicious cookies.

Also, bonus! You can give them to people as gifts and make eternal pals. Not that they'll make it out of the kitchen, right?

On another note, my Christmas was and has been amazing. My whole entire ginormous family got together in a medium sized house in Virginia for a couple days just so we could get our yearly fix of squishing and getting all up in each others business. It was posh.

My trip included stops in New Hampshire and Vermont and eating my weight in granola and homemade peanut butter. Let's not discuss the condition of my belly.

Ps. This post was an excuse to use the words delish and posh.





Soft, Chewy Molasses Cookies


Adapted from Martha Stewart

makes 30 cookies

3 cups plus 2 tablespoons of flour


2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger


2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves


1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg


1 cup (2 sticks) of butter, softened


1 cup of packed, dark brown sugar


1 tablespoons of ground ginger


1/2 cup of molasses


2 teaspoons baking soda, dissolved in 1 tablespoon of boiling water


1/4 cup of sugar plus extra for rolling


Sift together flour and spices into a medium bowl. Put butter and brown sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in molasses.


Beat in flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the baking soda mixture. Shape dough into a disk, and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, as long as you can wait.


Preheat oven to 325F. Shape dough into half inch balls and space twp inches apart on greased baking sheets.


Roll balls in sugar and bake until surfaces crack open slightly, 10-12 minutes. Remove from sheets before completely cooled. Consume.

No comments:

Post a Comment