Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Rustic Apple Tart

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us," - Hebrews 12:1

My day started at six o'clock in the morning. Really, I know that isn't early. . . unless you fell asleep after one o'clock the night prior. Still, it was for a good reason, and when I wake up that early tomorrow morning I'll definitely make sure to get to bed at a way better hour. 

Did you know that in my house, if a young girl wants to make scones she can't? There's no butter!

Sin.


After my Mom bought butter (actually, it was margarine. . . more sin. ) I set to work with my apple tart, which was sooo easy, since I had no recipe to follow. I based it off of something I saw on a blog a few days ago, but last night I went to look and couldn't find it anywhere online! So I had to try and remember what the recipe was from memory but ended up just guessing and doing my own thing. It was pretty good considering.

Here's what I used, but like I said, I made it up, so you can make yours up too. 

5 Rome apples, 1 granny smith (these are the apples that we had, so I used them. You can use whatever type you think goes best in a pie)
1 Store-bought or home-made pie crust, rolled out flat
1/4 c. of melted butter
3 tbs sugar
sugar for decor

Preheat oven to 375F and grease a baking sheet.
unroll pie crust and set on baking sheet. 

Peal the apples and slice them thinly. Toss in a bowl with sugar and butter, adding or taking away to fit your own taste. 

Pile the apples high onto the rolled out pie crust. You'll know you have the right amount if when you pull the sides of the crust up around the fruit, there's still a good sized hole left in the middle for the apples to peek out of.

Warp the edges of the dough up and around each other so they hold snugly. 

If preferred, beat and egg and tablespoon of milk and brush over the top of the crust and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the bottom may leek juice. 
let cool for 15 minutes on sheet before trying to remove. Slice like pie and serve.

Anyways, this recipe was actually really simple, sweet and satisfying and I personally liked it better than apple pie, which has never been my absolute favorite (sorry apple pie fanatics). You should make it. It's super yummy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment