Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Scones From Heaven

"Oh the depths of the riches, of the wisdom and knowledge of God!"-Romans 11:33

There are three foods I could not live without. 

.Carrots
..Porridge
...Scones

Not in that particular order, but yes, those are some of the most amazing foods on this earth. I didn't say they're my favorite foods, but they definitely are awesome. Carrots taste delicious raw, boiled, sauteed, baked, mashed (yes, mashed) and in pretty much any other way you can use them. You can put them in mixed vegetables, rice, casseroles, or just a bowl on the table. They're one of my favorite snacks and are extremely healthy, low in calories, and just...yummy!!

Porridge is pretty much really thin oatmeal with sugar (unless you're Chinese), though sometimes I leave the sugar out. I don't know why, but just by itself, with no added milk or brown sugar or anything else, I love oatmeal!!! It tastes amazing to me, and I could literally eat it for any meal. Plus, it's full of fiber that keeps you full until your next meal and is also low in calories and fat. Did I mention I love it?? Mm.

Scones. I honestly had no idea what in the world these were a month ago. I thought they were triangle, really hard biscuit that were pumpkin flavored at Starbucks in the fall. . . and Australians adore them and call them 'sgons.' Turns out, I was really really wrong. They're not just pumpkin flavored, they're definitely not hard, and they aren't always triangles! (Australians really do love them) 
I've made so many scones this past week and a half and I get giddy at the thought of trying new ideas. It intrigues me that they can be sweet or savory, and so far I've made pumpkin scones, cheese scones, and there are ham and cheese scones sitting on the counter right now, still warm and fresh from the oven and waiting to be conquered and destroyed whenever my Dad gets up. These are by far the best, and I would include a recipe, but you honestly don't need one. Find a recipe for scones, like Starbucks Pumpkin Scones, use it as your basis, take out the pumpkin, spices, and icing, add your ingredients, and bake for 15 minutes at 425F! It's so easy, it's not even funny!! It is pretty delicious though. I used shredded lunch meat ham and cheddar cheese, though you might want to ad more ham then I did, because they just tasted really cheesy. I added some pepper for flavor and popped them in the oven. To be humble...they were really really really really REALLY good!!! 

Here's the type of scones I would like to try. If you know a good recipe send me it, but right now I'm just making it up as I go along (that's sort of how I do everything):

Sweet-
Pumpkin Scones
Maple Cream Cheese Scones (?)
Apple Scones
Cinnamon Scones
Cranberry Nut Scones
Raisin Scones (with cinnamon)
Blueberry Sugar Scones
Blueberry Lemon
Mixed Berry Scones
Walnut Scones
Yogurt Scones (?)
Cinnamon Chippy Scones
Chocolate Scones
Strawberry Spice Scones
Orange Scones

Savory-
Cheese Scones
Basil and Parmesan Scones
Ham and Cheddar Scones
Oatmeal (raisin, cinnamon, chocolate, apple, cranberry, blueberry, lemon, nut, pumpkin, yogurt, cheese) Scones
Chili Scones (?) 
Cheddar Apple Scones
Cheddar Pepper Scones
Onion Sausage Scones
Bacon (anything) Scones ;)

So that's my list of yummy sounding scones, and yummy foods that I could eat all day. I'm pretty simple when it comes to food for someone who loves making it so much. I could make my Mom spaghetti with garlic, parsley and red pepper for lunch but then go and eat porridge or carrots by myself. Any food is yummy, especially simple ones. 
Thank God for food!!!!!!!!!! :)


other adventures this week:
blueberry walnut free-form tart ( * * * * )
rustic  zucchini and cheese sausage tart ( * * * )
mom's italian chicken breast & rice ( * * * * * )
lemon peanut butter ice cream ( * * )

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I enjoy your writing too!!!! I love that we are both loving to cook and bake at the same time! Can't wait for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete