Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Apple Walnut Bread

Dear Southern California-
Producing hot weather during the fall season is not acceptable in my eyes or in the eyes of many other concerned California citizens. We are all very disappointed in you.

Okay, seriously. Today it was ninety. five. degrees. 

That shouldn't even be legal!!!

Well, apparently it is. Gr you California for making me refrain from wearing fuggs to converse today! (I refuse to wearing flip flops in November)

Converse really aren't that bad. In fact, they're my second favorite shoe. But seriously? Nothing, and I do mean NOTHING, compares to fuggs. 

For all of you out there that don't attend my church where ladies in their late-fifties wear skinny jeans and fuzzy boots, that's slang for 'fake uggs.'

Oh well, fall is still in the air, and you want to know why?! No? I'll tell you anyways. 

I MADE APPLE BREAD. 

Apples. Are. Wicked. If there is a better food on this earth that can compare to apples, please show me. I didn't put apples on my list of 3 favorite foods because they're too amazing for that. 
(And I forgot. . . don't judge.)

Anyway, here's the recipe I used, from Joy the Baker's blog, which I highly recommend because she's hilarious and her recipes are incredible! Plus, she gets paid to blog. How rad is that?!?! 
(it's rad.) 
I wish I got paid to bake and blog.  Then I could pay for my horse and I wouldn't be in debt to my parents. Yes, I am in debt to my parents. Like I said, don't judge. That's Jesus' job.

I changed it up some from the original, mostly because I didn't have a clue as to what flax seed was, BUT, it still tasted like heaven in your mouth! Personally, I wish you could have tasted more of the apple, but it was so yummiful that you forget that there was supposed to be apples, that it has so much sugar it's sinful, not to mention you forget who you are, where you live and why in the world you're alive. . . other than to eat the deliciousness. Oh yes, apple walnut bread is powerful.

recipe originally found and altered from joythebaker.com.

(just so you know, I hate how in recipes it says, '1 cup whole wheat flour' instead of, '1 cup of whole wheat flour.' It seriously ticks me off. So if I must hand copy a whole recipe just to add the correct (or in-correct) wording, I will.) 

Apple Walnut Bread

makes one 9x5 inch loaf
1 cup of whole wheat flour
3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
3/4 cup of brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
generous pinch of nutmeg
2/3 cup of buttermilk (I suggest using some applesauce instead for a more apple flavor. just sayin')
1/3 cup of unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup of grated apples (I used 1 whole apple)
1/2 cup of coarsely chopped apples (I used another whole apple)
3/4 cup of coarsley chopped walnuts (or if you're lazy like me, just put them in, you won't die, I promise)
cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling
Grease a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, salt, baking power, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla extract.
Mix wet ingredients into the dry. Add the grated apples, chopped apples and half the walnuts. Mix a lot.
Spoon batter into prepared pan and top with granulated sugar, cinnamon and the rest of the walnuts. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until you think it looks as done as you want.
Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes then move it to a cooling rack to cool before wrapping. (or move it to a plate)

That's it! Easy as pie. . . or bread. It's soooo yummy I could have eaten the whole loaf. 
I may have. 

.

.
.

Okay, I didn't, 4 other people helped me, but we did eat the whole loaf, except for like, a bite, which is sitting in the pan on the counter. I sadly didn't get a picture of the yumminess because we had to leave for my Dad's college right after I took it out of the oven, but trust me, it looked awesome. 
If you're really desperate for pictures when making a recipe (like me), go to Joy the Baker. Hers looked delicious too. 

Tomorrow I'm making chili for our chili cook-off at church. I've never made chili. Wish me luck! I'm also hopefully going to pull out the bread machine and bake some amazingness. Mm. 
(Yes, you can be jealous. Jesus will forgive you).


1 comment: