Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Stone Berry Muffins

I realize these muffins don't sound that great.

They don't look that great either.

Do you remember when you were little and you were playing in a sand box and perhaps you found some wet sand, and you put it in your mouth? Do you remember the smell? The taste? If you do, that's pretty much what these muffins taste like.

This is where you say, "wait...you aren't giving me the recipe for your overbaked, not-half-bad vanilla and chai pound cake you made last night...but you're giving me a recipe for muffins that taste like wet sand?" Yes. I am. 

The reason I'm referring them to wet sand is really not the taste, or the texture. It's just because I can't figure out what else to refer them to. They sort of taste like really yummy blueberry muffins without any sugar...and...they're gray. It's weird. And not intended. 

I like them. A lot. Hear me? I really. really. like them. 
I made 18 and ate over half of them. Not even joking. They're addicting.

By themselves they taste sort of like really yummy rocks, or...well, you can make them and decide for yourself. I wouldn't give you a recipe if I thought it was terrible. I promise. Make these in your kitchen. Then eat them. I don't think you'll be disappointed..?

Stone Berry Muffins

makes 18 muffins
1 cup of flour
1 cup of oatmeal
1/2 cup of brown or cane sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of ginger (probably not needed, but it made me feel special)
the remains of a bag of frozen mixed berries (about 1/3 a cup)
2 tablespoons of strawberry jam (or whatever you have on hand)
1/3 cup of raspberry preserves 
1 teaspoon of strawberry extract
2 eggs
2/3 cup of milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla exract

Preheat oven to 350F and grease 3 muffin pans. 
Combine flour, oatmeal, sugars, ginger, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. 
In a small bowl whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Fold into dry ingredients. 
Add the berries, jam and extract. Pour batter into prepared muffin pans, filling 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they are just beginning to brown a little around the edges. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before loosening with a butter knife. 
Remove from pan. Serve with butter or cream cheese. 


2 comments:

  1. That's the most interesting recipe recommendation! So, did the recipe originally have sugar in it, but you just didn't put it in? and I'm not sure i want to eat yummy rocks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has sugar, but I didn't use one specific recipe...it was sort of me finding frozen fruit in the freezer and jam in the fridge and making something with it. They do taste good! Just...different then some muffins :)

    ReplyDelete