Friday, November 5, 2010

Chili. 'Nuff said.

For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made!" -Psalm 139: 13-14a

Before I get into chili and ninjas and oatmeal, I would like to proudly say that I have my first niece!
My oldest sister gave birth to her first daughter Thursday, beautiful Anya Marie! I'm happy. :D

I should have made a cake to celebrate. But when I make cake no one eats it. Urgh.


(Urgh is a really unattractive word)

So I made chili. And Ninja bread. And oatmeal sour cream muffins. Yes, I was busy. Actually I was home alone all day with nothing to do but school, so I spent a solid 5 hours in the scolding hot kitchen and a good 2 hours brushing my horse. She's very clean. I did school too. Sort of.

So. . . funny story. My computer decided to be ditzy and spazz out right when I needed to get online to see the chili recipe my sister sent me. . . so I ended up calling my Mom, who's on the east coast with my sister. . . and then. . . I ended up talking to my sister. . . roughly five hours after she had a c-section. We talked about chili. 
How many people can say they called their sister right after she gave birth to talk solely about chili? It's legit.

Yumilicious Chili 

Adapted from Rebecca's recipe (thanks!)
Makes aprx. 6 servings (or 4 if you have lots of seconds)

2 cans of kidney beans
1 can of tomato sauce
1 can of petite cut tomatoes 
1 lb. of ground beef (or pork sausage)
3 tablespoons of chili sauce (or as needed)
taco sauce
hot sauce
1 teaspoon of garlic salt
black pepper
1 teaspoon of oregano
1 teaspoon of thyme
1 teaspoon of basil
2 teaspoons of cumin
parmesan cheese

Brown meat in a skillet with oil, drain grease. Drain beans and pour into pot on the stove or crockpot with tomato sauce and tomatoes. When meat is ready add to the pot. If cooking for 2 hours, put on medium-low heat on the stove or higher heat on the crockpot. If more time, use lower settings. Add your chosen amount of spices and stir well. Note that at the beginning the mixture will be thicker than the finished meal, so don't overdue the chili sauce and tomato sauce. The flavors will meld together as it cooks. Stir well occasionally, tasting it as you go until you have the right consistency and taste. Serve to hungry people. 

It was actually pretty good, but I'm sort of torn. . . I don't want a chili so good that I have a chance at winning the chli-cook off, because that means I have to stand in front of the church. Yes, I have a fear of man problem. 
It's not cool. 
I really doubt I'll have this issue though.


1 comment:

  1. the whole "inward parts" verse is appropriate for chili. ha!

    ReplyDelete